Women Who Inspire Us – Celebrating 100 Years Since We Won The Right To Vote

It’s been 100 years today since 40% of women in the UK were awarded their right to vote. It took another 10 years for the other 60% to be awarded the same right. Emmeline Pankhurst was a founding member of a group of women, known as the Suffragettes, who fought incredibly hard to get women the right to vote in the UK. In 1918, a law was passed which allowed certain women the right to vote. This was a big step in equality between men and women – and many would argue that, for a large part of this, we have Emmeline to thank.

“We are here not because we are law-breakers; we are here in our efforts to become law-makers.” Emmeline Pankhurst (1858-1928)

However, unless you have been living under a rock, events like the Womens March and the Times Up campaign are still highlighting inequality issues that women experience every day, all over the world, despite it being 2018. Even now in the present day, women are still fighting for their rights, the power of equality, and now people are finally starting to listen. We’re not only taking a stand, but we’re owning it. For all of us.

Take a look below at the inspiring women who empower us every day at Simply Be HQ.

Oprah Winfrey

“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough” Oprah Winfrey

Oprah’s recent acceptance speech at the Golden Globes honored the marginalized, voiceless, and underappreciated heroes of history who paved the path for her success today. From Poitier to Rosa Parks, Oprah shared the honor with fellow revolutionaries, while making a call to action to inspire future leaders and though provokers for generations to come.

Katharine Hepburn

“If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.” – Katharine Hepburn (1907-2003)

Katharine Hepburn was quite the fashion icon, but one of the main ways that she left her mark was by changing the idea of what people believed it was to be feminine. One way that she did this was by challenging how women were supposed to dress. In Hollywood in the 1930s and 1940s, it was more usual for women to wear dresses and skirts. But not Katharine, who liked to wear trousers and she became very well known for this. She was an extremely independent woman and took control of her own acting career – again, something that wasn’t very usual for women at that time.

J.K. Rowling

“It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” – J.K Rowling

She’s the woman who invented an entire magical world with Harry Potter and inspired thousands, if not millions of children to pick up a book and start reading. It’s hard to imagine now but Rowling did actually struggle to get the book published at first. We are very thankful she persevered with what she believed in in order to bring happiness to the masses. As the first female novelist to become a billionaire, we think it’s safe to say she has left a lightning bolt-shaped scar in history.

Simone Biles

“I’m not the next Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps, I’m the first Simone Biles.” Simone Biles

Simone holds record for most gold medals won by a female gymnast in World Championships history. She is first African-American to become World all-around gymnastics champion and she was a member of 2016 U.S. Olympic Team. She’s also an advocated for children in foster care, having been fostered herself when she was younger. Simone credits a mix of talent, hard work and grabbing the right opportunity when asked about how she reached the Olympics and says without encouragement and support, she would have never been a gymnast.

Hilary Clinton

hillary clinton

“In too many instances, the march to globalisation has also meant the marginalisation of women and girls. And that must change.” – Hillary Clinton

After becoming the first lady of Arkansas in 1983 and then the United States in 1993, Hillary Clinton has been a powerful force in US politics ever since. She was the first ‘first lady’ to be a candidate in elected office in 1999 in the race for New York Senator and also ran for the Presidential office in 2016. She has won numerous awards for her work concerning women, health and children.

Are you feeling empowered? We’ve got the perfect jumper to express your love and support for all things women!

Check it out here

Looking to progress in your career? Check out these career boosting podcasts here.

Images from Getty.

I work in the International Acquisition Team. When I’m not working, I enjoy eating, yoga and music; I spend my time listening to music and going to see live music. I love getting glittered up and wearing 70’s style disco pants, anything silver and glittery, throw my way.  To relax I like watching box sets and eating lots of chocolate.

Leave a Reply